Welcome to EWAD
Environmental Women in Action for Development (EWAD) is a registered National, Non-Governmental Organization that was founded in 1995, and has played an integral role as a partner in the social and economic development of Uganda. EWAD was founded for the exclusive purpose of sharing with the under-privileged, vulnerable and poor individuals, families and communities.
History of EWAD
The organization was founded in April 1995 by a group of women who were inspired by love and compassion to fight for the rights of women, youth and children in Wakiso, by then part of Mpigi District. Over the years, EWAD has grown from an informal community organization to a well established National Charitable Organization in Uganda. It was founded for the exclusive purpose of sharing with the under-privileged, vulnerable and poor individuals, families and communities.
EWAD has played an integral role as a partner in the social and economic development of Uganda.
Our mission is to empower poor women, children and youth overcome poverty and vulnerability through education, life skills development and enhanced access to other resources for social and economic development.
Our vision is a Uganda free of poverty and disease, with democracies that embrace the voices, policies and practices to encompass both the urban and rural poor, where women and youth are harmonious, health, prosperous, informed, and meeting their primary needs, with their rights respected, protected and fulfilled.
Our major objective is to rally support behind the most vulnerable of communities who include youth, children, women and people living with HIV/AIDS, to help them improve their quality of life, while they appreciate and protect their environment for sustainable development.
- To support children and youth through accessible and affordable adolescent/child friendly services to reduce vulnerability to exploitation and abuse.
- To ensure a continuum of support to Children and families under the face of HIV/AIDS scourge, while striving to help improve their living conditions, with livelihood options.
- To support skills development for empowerment of women and youths with creativity and innovation to earn sustainable incomes for improved conditions of living.
- To promote community management of environmental resources, and raising public awareness on the link between environment, poverty and development.
- Dignity: We believe in the intrinsic dignity of every person and their human rights regardless of gender, ethnicity, religion or political affiliation.
- Solidarity: We have passion to serve the poor and vulnerable members of society to improve their lives
- Sustainability: We recognise the intimate relationship between protecting and sustaining the environment and promoting human development. We strive to take proper account of ecological, social and economic sustainability in our work
- Accountability: We strive to be good stewards of the resources entrusted to us, cost-effective in all our activities and openly accountable to the public and all our partners.